Friday, October 20, 2006

Buruwisan Falls

Buruwisan Falls
Brgy Macatad
Mt. Famy, Siniloan, Laguna
August 13, 2006

DSCF6073

Last August I went with Congress Outdoors to Buruwisan Falls and rappelled into her 100-foot drop. The act of leaning back into a chasm was mind-numbing. Such an act defies all naturally hard wired tendencies aimed at self-preservation. Perhaps in an attempt to shut down fear and preclude utter embarrassment from freezing over at the lip of the falls while your companions drop in like navy seals, the mind goes on zombie mode so that the body can commit itself to an illogical act.

The moments before the actual jump were solemn to say the least. I was not sure if everyone on the team was just concentrating on the lecture and instructions of the jump master or praying to the good Lord for their souls to keep. Oh yes, they call dropping off the cliff "jumping", hence the term "jump master" for the expert that will prepare the rigging, instruct and ensure everyone is doing the right thing.

Most of us had dropped into various places one time or another. Some had dropped into natural settings for that matter. Only a few however, had dropped into such a height as this presented to us. For one, the great rumble the falls made was disconcerting to say the least - and that was above the lip. What more if you happen to be beside it. The rope was rigged so that the jumper will come about four to five meters away from the edge of the curtain of water.

DSCF5975

It would be pretentious to say I wasn't scared shitless as I stood at the edge of the lip waiting for the jump master to signal for me to drop in. I've put up a brave face all throughout and tried as much as I can to look nonchalant about the whole thing. I'm not so sure if I was that successful in hiding the death-pale color of my face, or if I made any sense as I spoke through clenched jaws. All of a sudden, I became tunnel-visioned as I leaned back and allowed the rope to take my weight. Then it was only the rope in front of me and my feet as I willed them to take one step at a time.

It pays to take note of lectures and instructions. Sometimes, proper techniques may appear counter-intuitive. The proper thing to do when facing a vertical wall is to lean comfortably back to give you mobility and control over your descent. Intuitively, you'd want to hug the wall and cry out to your mommy.

About two meters from the lip, the wall becomes an overhang and you will need to maneuver yourself into the ledge. As much as I tried to gingerly ease myself in, the foliage blocking my view caused me to lose foothold and I ended up banging my shin on a rock. Adrenalin has a way of numbing pain and dimming sensibilities fortunately and I carried on. Further down, the foliage clears and you find yourself completely suspended under a huge overhang created by the falls. Noise, mist and tumbling wind from the force of the falling water send your body swinging and your mind swirling. It was a beautiful denouement for such a climactic weekend activity.

DSCF5947I cannot pass the opportunity to take pictures while suspended. The first time I dropped in I found the rescue sling was forcing me to double over backwards and that I needed a hand on the rope to keep myself upright. However, I also needed that hand to take my pictures.

You really don't want to flip upside down if you're not planning to do so especially with an improvised harness. So, I called off my plan to shoot during that descent. For the next jump, we did this trick with another sling to function as a body harness to allow me the freedom to shoot around without worrying about flipping back. A real harness provides stability so you can flip upside down or bring yourself upright without much trouble or fear from slipping off the webbings.

So there I was a mad photographer fidgeting with his camera suspended a fair height above the water's surface, while tons of fresh water fell only a few meters away. You have got to see the romance in that.

DSCF6048

Buruwisan Falls had seen a number of casualties. One account was a climber rappelling and due to some sorry sad twist of fate experienced equipment failure and fell into the water. He survived but he was vomiting blood as they hauled him off. Another time, someone was loafing around near the lip, probably played around and slipped. That one didn't survive.

Buruwisan Falls is part of a series of falls in Mt. Famy, Siniloan, Laguna. It is a mere three hours drive from Quezon City and another two hours hike from Barangay Macatad - the staging area or jump-off point for your hike. Brgy. Macatad is along the Famy-Infanta Highway, making it very accessible via private vehicles or public transport.

DSCF5760The campsite is conveniently supplied by a number of Sari-Sari stores and maintained by the local barangay. Toilet facilities are also available. It is implored from visitors to practice low impact camping activities at the camp site. Bonfires are not necessary and everyone is responsible to ensure that no trash is carelessly thrown into the river or left behind. The use of soap is discouraged in the river as this will promote algal bloom further downstream thereby reducing oxygen levels in the water and adversely affecting life in the river.

We are all responsible for the proper management of our natural resources and recreational havens. Ignoring rules and practicing acts that degrades the natural beauty of our wilderness does nobody any good. Leaving your trash behind hoping that others will pick it up after you may provide you with slight convenience, but the inconvenience and irritation you as a person give others are deplorable. Others may pick up after you, but they are not doing it because they are paid to do it. They go about cleaning up after idiots because they love the environment and care enough to do something about it.

On a final note, rappelling is an activity that demands exactness in skills, specialized equipment and professional guidance. Various mountaineering organizations offer guideship services which include rappelling in the itinerary.

DSCF5861

University of the Philippines Mountaineers (UPM) offer such guideship services and may be contacted at their website for queries.

Likewise you may also contact Jump Master Allan Bermudes of Red Cross Rizal Chapter to provide guideship, equipment and rappel instruction and guidance. He may be reached at 09198924425 for bookings.

(Some rights reserved. No part of this post may be reproduced in any printed material of commercial purpose without the express consent of the author.)

7 comments:

Sidney said...

Wow! Too scary for me!
Looks like a nice experience!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Nice site!
My homepage | Please visit

masterofthe said...

putsa thisis wht i love with nature and the writer of this blog is surely a pro because he ws able to express the fate of his travel in exact simple words and wow..i'll be there this yea....i promise.

Anonymous said...

I like the captured thrill and adventures in those pictures. made you want to go there.

Abaniko said...

I like the way you recount your experience. And your photos are superb! My favorite is the one you took while you're going down. So daring of you. Fresh execution, man. Great!

Buruwisan Falls said...

Enjoyed swimming with her fresh water of Buruwisan Falls